This post is part 2 of a 3-part series. See part 1 here and part 3 here.What if I told you I know of a guaranteed, foolproof way to get in the best physical shape of your life without strenuous workouts? How would you like to achieve success at work, without grueling hours at the office? It sounds too good to be trueand of course, there is a catch, but my claims are real. I’ve learned that athletic and business successes rely on similar principles. There is a reason why jocks become Fortune 500 CEOs. But you don’t need a varsity jacket to apply these lessons to your own life. In fact, I’m a born nerd who until recently hated athleticism.
I’ve always been better at business than sports and am fortunate to have sold two companies over the past eight years. But recently, I’ve found a love for exercise and in my early thirties, I became an avid barefoot runner. I run barefoot for a number of reasons, but most importantly, I run unshod because I like it. It just feels good. I once exercised to keep my weight under control, to get healthy, or because that’s what we’re all “supposed to do”. But that’s no longer why I run. It is precisely because I run for pure pleasure that I plan on running for a long, long time.
This blog series is about what I’ve learned running my own companies, as well as my work advising start-ups. Barefoot running happens to be a fantastic analogy to illustrate several truths I’ve picked up over the years.
Lesson 2: Run for the love
Top Motivation Articles
- Need Motivation? Make a Price Pact
- Can’t Seem to Stick With Your Commitments? Try Making a Pact.
- The Real Reason Why You Sabotage Your Own Goals
- Steal These 3 Advertising Secrets–To Use As Motivation Hacks
- What Is Motivation? You’ve Probably Been Thinking About It All Wrong
- Are You a Wage Slave?
- How to Finally Find the Motivation You’ve Been Missing
- From Friday Forward to Monday Motivation: Q&A with Robert Glazer
- The Surprising Benefits of Unconditional Positive Regard
- Extrinsic Motivation: Why You Make Terrible Life Choices
- How to Achieve Your Goals By Creating an Enemy
- The Way You Think About Willpower Is Hurting You
- The Mind-Hack I Used to Help My Father Lose Weight
- The Sweet Spot: Where Technology Meets the Motivational Brain
- Being a Quitter Makes You a Good Entrepreneur
- What A-Players Do That You Don’t
- Why You Should Run Your Business Barefoot