Essays about how to engineer behaviors in users and customers.
- The Limits of Loyalty: When Habits Change, You’re Toast
- 4 Ways to Use Psychology to Win Your Competition’s Customers
- The Real Reason “Stupid” Startups Raise So Much Money
- The Psychology Behind Why We Can’t Stop Messaging
- The Psychology of a Billion-Dollar Enterprise App: Why is Slack so Habit-Forming?
- Framing Reward is as Important as Reward Itself
- A Free Course on User Behavior
- It’s Not All Fun And Games: The Pros and Cons of Gamification at Work
- Designing for Behavior Change Book Review
- The Sneaky Trick Behind the Explosive Growth of the Kardashian Game
- The Sweet Spot: Where Technology Meets the Motivational Brain
- How Successful Companies Design for Users’ Multi-Device Lives
- The Link Between Habits and Customer Satisfaction
- Is Some Tech Too Addictive?
- Can Online Apps Change Real-Life Behavior?
- What Tech Companies Can Learn from Rehab
- Teach or Hook? What’s the Real Goal of Online Education?
- How To Build Habits In A Multi-Device World
- Why Do Fads Fade? The Inevitable Death Of Flappy Bird
- You’d Be Surprised By What Really Motivates Users
- Nostalgia: A Product Designer’s Secret Weapon
- How You Can Help Users Change Habits
- Is “Lean Startup” Right for Your Idea?
- Hunting for Habits: Keying in on smart design to make a product irresistible
- Are Companies Too Obsessed With Growth? How to Measure Habits
- The New App a Secret Agent Would Love
- The Two Words that Created a #1 App
- From Laid to Paid: How Tinder Set Fire to Online Dating
- What if In-App Purchase Came to Real Life?
- Hooking Users One Snapchat at a Time
- The App of God: Getting 100 Million Downloads is More Psychology Than Miracles
- Why Behavior Change Apps Fail to Change Behavior
- How to Boost Desire Using the Psychology of Scarcity
- Think You Like What You Like? Think Again
- Why Business is Addicted to Habits
- Viral Loops Or Viral ‘Oops’?
- Making a Marketplace
- What Killed Turntable.fm?
- Designing to Reward our Tribal Sides
- New Video – “Hooked: Building Habit-Forming Products”
- How Technology is Like Bug Sex
- Ways To Get People To Do Things They Don’t Want To Do
- Escape From Message Hell
- Mass Persuasion, One User At A Time
- How Investment Drives Engagement (Slides)
- Video: The Desire Engine in 15 Minutes
- Getting Your Product Into the Habit Zone
- Where Have The Users Gone?
- Infinite Scroll: The Web’s Slot Machine
- Designing User Habits Video
- How Sports Infect Your Brain
- This is Your Brain On Boarding: How to Turn Visitors Into Users
- Make Your Users Do the Work
- Behavior by Design Video
- When Designing for Good Is Bad
- Stop Building Apps and Start Building Behaviors
- The Morality of Manipulation
- Never Take Your Eyes Off This Hacker Metric
- First Video of My “Behavior By Design” Talk: Creating Addictive Products
- Spotting the Next Facebook: Why Emotions are Big Business
- The Billion Dollar Mind Trick: An Intro to Triggers
- Why Everyone Hates I.T. People
- Hooking Users In 3 Steps: An Intro to Habit Testing
- Abolish The Reference Check
- Want To Hook Users? Drive Them Crazy. (An Intro to Variable Rewards)
- Go Ask Grandma: How To Design For “Normals”
- How to Manufacture Desire: An Intro to Hooks
- Habits Are The New Viral: Why Startups Must Be Behavior Experts
- Behavior by Design
Essays about how to design behaviors in yourself.
- Getting Over Your Fear of Missing Out
- Email Habits: How to Use Psychology to Regain Control
- Mind Hacking a Book
- Habits, Obstacles, and Media Manipulation with Ryan Holiday
- This Simple Equation Reveals How Habits Shape Your Health, Happiness, and Wealth
- The Number One Reason Good Habits Don’t Last
- The Secrets of Addictive Online Auctions
- How To Cope with Your Insane Jealousy Of The WhatsApp Deal
- 3 Ways I Use Technology to Find Happiness
- How to Break 5 Soul-Sucking Technology Habits
- 4 Simple Things I Did to Control My Bad Tech Habits
- The Real Reason You’re Hooked to Your Phone
- The Power of No
- To Become a Superstar, Improve Your Strengths (Not Your Faults)
- Why Positive Thinking is Bad For You
- What You Don’t Know About Intuition Can Hurt You
- This Will Be the Last Article You Read
- Time for Digital Hat Racks
- The First Thing to Know When Creating a Habit
- Strange Sex Habits of Silicon Valley
- How to Design Behavior (The Behavior Change Matrix)
- Train to be an Amateur, Not an Expert
- Being a Good Quitter Makes You a Good Entrepreneur
- Why Your Goals Are Bound to Fail, and What You Can Do About It
- What A-Players Do That You Don’t
- Why You Should Run Your Business Barefoot
- Are you a Startup Star, Wacko, or Wannabe?
Essays about technology, startups and innovation.
- Using Mind Control to Raise Startup Cash
- Angel or Devil: Who’s Really Investing In Your Start-Up?
- What’s Nir Been Up To?
- In 10 Years, We Won’t Use Personal Technology
- How To Save Your Startup From The “Spotlight Effect”
- The Curse of the Network Effect
- Today’s Behaviors, Tomorrow’s Startups
- The Superstitious Investor
- Our More Addictive World
- The Future is Driven by Interface Changes
- Time for Digital Hat Racks
- The Network Effect Isn’t Good Enough
- Escape From Message Hell
- The Next Secrets of the Web
- What Is, and Is Not, Your Product’s Job
- Pinterest’s Obvious Secret
- Personalized eCommerce Is Already Here, You Just Don’t Recognize It
- Where is the Web Going?
- The Developer Divide: When Great Companies Can’t Hire
See presentations I’ve given to organisations and companies on my Slideshare page here.
I post recorded presentations I’ve given to my YouTube channel here
A list of books I recommend can be found on my Amazon page.