Recently, I was invited to discuss how technology might impact children’s mental health at the Johnson Depression Center at the University of Colorado. I shared the stage with Dr. Jean Twenge, author of the book iGen and an article in The Atlantic that got a lot of attention titled, “Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?”The Truth About Kids and Technology Click To Tweet
Dr. Twenge and I had very different perspectives on how bad technology is for kids and whether tech is even the real source of the associated problems. However, we did agree on many of the solutions to tech overuse and abuse.
I hope you enjoy the video and please let me know what you think of the discussion in the comments.
- Kids’ Video Game Obsession Isn’t Really About Video Games. It’s About Unmet Psychological Needs.
- The Real Reason Apple and Google Want You to Use Your Phone Less
- How Bad is Tech Use for Kids, Really?
- How to Be Indistractable: Video by Nir Eyal
- How to Regain Focus at Work by Slaying the Messaging Monster
- Technology Is Not Hijacking Your Brain (video)
- Tech Companies are Addicting People! But Should They Stop?
- Technology is Distracting and Addictive. Here’s How to Fix It. (Video)
- Conquer Distractions With This Simple Chart
- Why People Check Their Tech at the Wrong Times (and the Simple Trick to Stop It)