A Checklist for Online Disruption
On November 13, 2012, Bill Gurley, a partner at Benchmark Capital, posted a remarkable essay on his blog. In it, he described the, “10 factors to consider when evaluating digital marketplaces.” Given the tremendous value marketplaces create and how hard they are to get right, I found this essay to be a goldmine of insight.
I teamed-up with my friend and blogger Sangeet Paul Choudary, to digest Bill’s post into a more memorable format. The result is this brief checklist we hope will help take some of the luck out of evaluating marketplace businesses.
As Bill wrote, “It is unlikely that you will find a marketplace opportunity that would score ten out of ten with respect to this list.” But according to Bill, the odds of success improve the more of these characteristics the business exhibits.
If you are viewing this post over email and having trouble seeing it, click here.
- Schedule Maker: Use this Google Sheet to Plan Your Week
- The New York Times Uses the Very Dark Patterns it Derides
- How to Start a Career in Behavioral Design
- A Free Course on User Behavior
- User Investment: Make Your Users Do the Work
- Variable Rewards: Want To Hook Users? Drive Them Crazy
- The Hooked Model: How to Manufacture Desire in 4 Steps